Python - NAWIT / Community

flebber flebber.crue at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 07:10:15 EST 2010

On Dec 28, 10:37 pm, Adam Tauno Williams <awill... at whitemice.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 03:24 -0800, flebber wrote:
> > On Dec 28, 10:16 pm, Adam Tauno Williams <awill... at whitemice.org>
> > wrote:
> > > Why not just check the repo and see the real answer for yourself?  It is
> > > Open Source after all.
> > > <https://github.com/aptana/Pydev/commits/master>
> > Yes you can answer questions, but have you really? Your answer seems
> > to be things are open source so who cares about community.
> > > Many projects accept donations via PayPal.  Sourceforge supports this.
> > Of course any fool can throw his/her money away thats no challenge why
> > even use Paypal, I could have fun and by 10 bottles of vino and hand
> > them out to recovering alcoholics.
> > Don't answer things just for the sake of it, if you have nothing
> > producive to say about furthering python and its community then say
> > that.
>
> I provided two concrete points, thank you:
>
> (1) Is a project actively developed?  Look at the repo. That is the
> answer to the question [this isn't necessarily obvious to those new to
> Open Source].
> (1.1.) "Is PyDev a potential unifying force amoung IDEs?"  Which is the
> implied question - that is up to the OP and others who do/do-not
> contribute to it.
> (2) How can I donate cash? There is a fairly standard mechanism for
> that.
>
> Otherwise I think the OP's thoughts on "community" and how Open Source
> works are somewhat flawed.  "Community" is a manifestation of people
> *doing* things; it does *not* arise out of people being concerned about
> things [since "doing" is quite apparently not a natural result of
> "concern". Concern is like watching TV.  Doing is getting out of the
> chair.]

Fair point.

You have mistaken somewhat what I intended, partly my fault due to the
verbosity. I wanted gaugue feedback on others perception of the
current status quo. I am happy personally currently, currently being
the main word.

"Community" is a manifestation of people
> *doing* things; it does *not* arise out of people being concerned about
> things

But concern is derived from interaction and observation and like fear
and joy tells us we need to take an action. If someone chooses to sir
idly by good for them I haven't the time or inclination personally.

Tony Robbins "Acheiving a goal is simple, decide what your goal is,
set out towards it and consistently review whether you are getting
closer or further from your goal and take action immediately."

>From a language perspective going to python 3 this definitely seems to
be occurring well and strongly lead.

Sometimes the fault in open source is the lack of a crystalized and
shared goal and proper infrastructure.....Gentoo as an example. Could
get to they were going because they didn't share the same vision of
what it was.

I meant no attack by reviewing, just a somewhat newbies observations
of python.