Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 19:15:54 EST 2010

On Dec 29, 6:07 pm, Katie T <ka... at coderstack.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What's your opinion of the other gui toolkits with Python bindings
> like PyQt and PyGtk?

Hello KateT,

Well i like wxPython as it is quite well rounded but we all know it
has some shortcomings too and wx is far too bloated for the stdlib!
pyQt and pyGtk i cannot comment on because i have no experience with
them.

However i need to stress that my intention is towards a 100% Python
GUI. Not a binding, not a wrapping (except for OS calls!) but a *real*
Python GUI. The only thing that i know of at this point is pyGUI
although there are probably others. Allowing the average Python
programmer the ability to read OS specific calls written in Python
would not only benefit their GUI knowledge, but also there knowledge
of OS's in general.

I guess you could sum it as "Getting the most bang for your community
buck".