Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 30 15:03:41 EST 2010

On 12/30/2010 10:51 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> In 2010, Tk only lacks two major features common to GUI toolkits:
>
> 1. A cross-platform printing API. This is mainly an issue on Windows,
> which lacks a rich command-line printing framework. The canvas widget
> can generate PostScript,

Uh.
1. Postscript is somewhat obsolete; being superseded somewhat by svg.
2. It is not as useful on Windows as it seems to be on *nux and macs --
not easy to either view or print.

3. The files it calls '.eps' are not readable by OOo. They can be read
by Photoshop, which can then write a file, supposedly the same but
actually not, that *can* be read by OOo. There was a thread on this list
about the issue.

I do not know whether tk is too sloppy in what it writes (and the file I
look for a trivial drawing did look sloppy, with lots of near
repetition) or whether OOo is too strict. But clearly, TK *could* write
better .eps files (like Photoshop does). And the current output is
clearly limited for my purposes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy