Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Dec 30 22:44:52 EST 2010

On 12/30/2010 10:28 PM, rantingrick wrote:

> Hmm, wxPython is starting to look like the answer to all our problems.
> WxPython already has an IDE so there is no need to rewrite IDLE
> completely. What do we have to loose by integrating wx into the
> stdlib, really?

In the spirit of "batteries included", Python needs to have "something"
in the stdlib as far as gui.  But it cannot be overwhelming.

The problem with wx is that it is BIG.  And so if we want something like
wx to be in the stdlib then it would have to be refactored so that there
was a small basic wx that was part of stdlib and then import
wx-the-whole-enchilada if you need heavy gui artillery.