Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:51:16 EST 2010

On Dec 30, 10:04 pm, Robert <sigz... at gmail.com> wrote:

> wxPython is really good. The downside is that is shows (or did show)
> its C++ roots.

Well i will admit the api is not as simplistic as Tkinter. However i
noticed over time that wx had started adopting a slight Tkinter "feel"
to the API and that is a good thing. So they are coming around. :)

> Anyway, I wasn't meaning to be rough with you. Just trying to figure
> out where you were coming from. I am acquianted with Kevin Walzer and
> he is a good guy.

No harm done Robert my skin is far thicker than your average grape. We
just ended up on opposite sides of a passionate argument. I hope you
stick around with us because I look forward to hearing more of your
opinions and ideas. And i agree that Kevin is a great guy! I've never
met him but i can tell from his writing style and mannerisms that he
is truly an honest and virtuous soul. And i totally understand why he
wants to keep Tkinter alive as he and i both have tons of code that
depends on Tkinter.

I wish we could keep Tkinter forever as it really is a great starter
GUI. I wrote my first GUI code with it and fell in love just like with
Python! However i know we will always be lacking our full potential
with Tkinter as developers and as a community. Sadly i see no other
way but to replace it with something more up-to-date. Sometimes we
have to "take one for the team". What is in our best interest may not
necessarily be in the community's best interest. If we *do* replace
Tkinter, it will be a very painful adjustment because it has been with
us for such a long time. However, just as Py3000 was painful at first,
and then started slowly gaining speed into a much better language, i
also believe this change will move us forward into an even greater
language.