Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:24:05 EST 2010

On Dec 30, 9:44 pm, Gerry Reno <gr... at verizon.net> wrote:

> In the spirit of "batteries included", Python needs to have "something"
> in the stdlib as far as gui.  But it cannot be overwhelming.

Agreed!

> The problem with wx is that it is BIG.  And so if we want something like
> wx to be in the stdlib then it would have to be refactored so that there
> was a small basic wx that was part of stdlib and then import
> wx-the-whole-enchilada if you need heavy gui artillery.

Exactly! All we need to do is replace the existing Tkinter with a
small sub-set of wxPython widgets that mirrors exactly what we have
now...

Toplevel
Label
Entry
Button
Radiobutton
Checkbutton
Canvas
Textbox
Listbox
Menu
Scale
Scrollbar

...thats all you need in the std library "widget wise". The rest of
what makes up wx can exist in the  "wxPython Extension Library".
Python needs this change! We have already made incompatible changes so
now is the time to start seriously brainstorming on how we can
integrate the beauty, elegance, and feature rich power of wxPython.