Python distutils build problems with MinGW

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at
Mon Feb 1 17:53:41 CET 2010

I've found the problem:

For the windows Python 3.1.1 x86 installation, the file \Python31\Lib
\Distutils\command\, has this:

Line 313:

        self.compiler = new_compiler(compiler=None,

But Python 2.6 has this line:

Line 306:

        self.compiler = new_compiler(compiler=self.compiler,

I've changed the Python 3.1.1 \Python31\Lib\Distutils\command
\, Line 313 to this:

        self.compiler = new_compiler(compiler=self.compiler,

And now MinGW gets properly called in Python 3.1.1. I think this must
have been a typo.

Is there anyone else that can confirm this?

The installation that distributes the file with that line is from this
Python ftp link: