Problems embedding python 2.6 in C++

Paul gobladoome at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:21:56 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm extending some old Visual Studio 6 code to add embedded python
scripting. It works fine most of the time but some python function calls do
not work as expected.

The C++ code is a multithreaded MFC application. I was assuming that it was
GIL issues but I have tried using the manual locking (PyEval_SaveThread &
PyEval_RestoreThread) and what seems to be the current method
(PyGILState_Ensure & PyGILState_Release)

Here's the error I'm getting:

 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "...scripts\receipt_parser.py", line 296, in
get_giftcard_purchase_value
    details = extract_transaction_details_section(test)
  File "...scripts\receipt_parser.py", line 204, in
extract_transaction_details_section
    for line in base_details:
TypeError: expected string or Unicode object, NoneType found

base_details is a list of strings (I can just define it like
'base_details=["1","2","3"...]' on the line previous) and the code runs fine
when run from standard interpreter. Many other function calls work fine from
the embedded app.

I create and then Py_DECREF the function parameters and the return value
after each function call. The module import is created at C++ object
constructor and then Py_DECREF'd in the desctuctor

Anyone else had issues of this kind? My next try will be to use
sub-interpreters per thread.

Thanks,
Paul.