Modules failing to add runtime library path info at link time

Christian Heimes lists at
Tue Feb 2 02:00:50 CET 2010

cjblaine wrote:
> Where/how can I configure the appropriate portion of our Python
> install to do 100% the right thing instead of just 50% (-L)?

Python's distutils doesn't alter the library search path unless you tell
it explicitly.

> A specific example -- note the -L and lack of -R (Solaris build):
> % python build
> gcc -shared build/temp.solaris-2.10-sun4u-2.6/pgmodule.o -L/afs/rcf/
> apps/catchall/lib -lpq -o build/lib.solaris-2.10-sun4u-2.6/
> %

The Extension() class supports the rpath argument. Simply add
rpath="/path/to/library/dir" and you are good.