Dreaming of new generation IDE

Vladimir Ignatov kmisoft at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:54:26 EST 2010

> This is obvious even in the Python documentation itself where one
> frequently asks oneself "Uhh... so what is parameter X supposed to be...
> a string... a list... ?"

Exactly. Often I don't need to know the exact type, but to figure out
that "kind of type" it is.

>> should be a database-centric and resemble current CAD systems instead
>> of being just "fancy text editor". Source text should be an output
>> product of that CAD and not a "source material" itself.
>
> Ugh, please NO!  This has been attempted many many times in many
> environments - it always fails *terribly*.

Can you give some examples of such systems? (maybe just names for
googling for)  I don't see anything dirt in storing some additional
meta-information about the code under development and using it later
for all kind of benefits (easy refactoring for example). As with your
example with "parameter x", some additional information can be
"attached" to this paramer. Later it can be used during
code-generation phase and placed as "comment" in source code or placed
in popup tag in html-style presentation.

Vladimir Ignatov