ANN: GMPY 1.11 released

casevh casevh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:37:36 EST 2010

On Feb 2, 10:03 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 12:45 am, casevh <cas... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Everyone,
>
> > I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
> > GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
> > arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/
>
> > In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
> > features in this release:
>
> > - Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
> > - Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
> > - Performance improvements by improved caching.
> > - Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
> > - Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
> > - Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
> >   longer recognized.
>
> > Changes since 1.11rc1:
> > - Recognizes GMP 5.
> > - Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).
>
> > Comments on provided binaries
>
> > The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
> > 1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
> > optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
> > compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
> > instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.
>
> > Please report any issues!
>
> My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
> group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.
>
> Two issues:
>
> 1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

> '1.11'
>
> Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
> apart?

Check the name of source tarball?

gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
The changes made in each revision number are listed at
http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
work if the format of the string changes.

> 2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
>    applicable to me since
>
>    - I'm not using Windows
>    - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
>      compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)

Yes. The only change for GMP 5 was to recognize the new version number
when running the tests.

> Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
> are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
> not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
> me to try it?

According to comments on GMP's mailing list, the latest snapshot
should work.
ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/snapshot/