Passing parameters in URL

Alan Harris-Reid alan at baselinedata.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 13:01:14 EST 2010

I have a web-page where each row in a grid has edit/delete buttons to
enable the user to maintain a selected record on another page.  The
buttons are in the form of a link with href='/item_edit?id=123', but
this string appears in the URL and gives clues as to how to bypass the
correct sequence of events, and could be risky if they entered the URL
directly (especially when it comes to deleting records).

Is there another way of passing a record-id to a method
a) without it appearing in the URL?
b) without the user being able to fathom-out how to attach which id to
which URL?

As each link contains row-id, I guess there is nothing to stop someone
from getting the id from the page source-code.  Is it safe to use the
above href method if I test for authorised credentials (user/password
stored as session variables, perhaps?) before performing the edit/delete
action?

I am currently using CherryPy 3.2, but I guess the theory could apply to
any HTTP framework or web app..

Any help would be appreciated.
Alan Harris-Reid