ANN: GMPY 1.11 released

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 13:22:22 EST 2010

On Feb 3, 10:37 am, casevh <cas... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 10:03 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 2, 12:45 am, casevh <cas... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Everyone,
>
> > > I'm pleased to annouce the final release of GMPY 1.11.
> > > GMPY is a wrapper for the MPIR or GMP multiple-precision
> > > arithmetic library. GMPY 1.11 is available for download from:
>
> > >http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/
>
> > > In addition to support for Python 3.x, there are several new
> > > features in this release:
>
> > > - Even faster conversion to/from Python longs.
> > > - Performance improvements by reducing function overhead.
> > > - Performance improvements by improved caching.
> > > - Support for cdivmod, fdivmod, and tdivmod.
> > > - Unicode strings are accepted on Python 2.x and 3.x.
> > > - Fixed regression in GMPY 1.10 where True/False were no
> > >   longer recognized.
>
> > > Changes since 1.11rc1:
> > > - Recognizes GMP 5.
> > > - Bugs fixed in Windows binaries (MPIR 1.3.0rc3 -> 1.3.1).
>
> > > Comments on provided binaries
>
> > > The 32-bit Windows installers were compiled with MinGW32 using MPIR
> > > 1.3.1 and will automatically recognize the CPU type and use code
> > > optimized for the CPU at runtime. The 64-bit Windows installers were
> > > compiled Microsoft's SDK compilers using MPRI 1.3.1. Detailed
> > > instructions are included if you want to compile your own binary.
>
> > > Please report any issues!
>
> > My previous replies didn't show up. Something to do the .announce
> > group? I'll trim that and try again. Sorry if they show up eventually.
>
> > Two issues:
>
> > 1] why does both gmpy 1.11 and gmpy 1.11rc1 both reply

> > '1.11'
>
> > Aren't these different versions? How are we supposed to tell them
> > apart?
>
> Check the name of source tarball?
>
> gmpy._cvsid() will return the internal source code revision number.
> The changes made in each revision number are listed athttp://code.google.com/p/gmpy/source/list.

So, '$Id: gmpy.c 237 2010-01-10 03:46:37Z casevh $' would be Revision
237
on that source list?

> I know some applications check gmpy.version(). I don't know if they'll
> work if the format of the string changes.

Then gmpy.version() isn't really intended to be a version per se,
it's just a level of compatibility for those programs that care?

> > 2] Is it true that the only changes since 1.11rc1 are not
> >    applicable to me since
>
> >    - I'm not using Windows
> >    - whether it recognizes GMP 5 is moot as GMP 5 cannot be
> >      compiled on a Mac (according to GMP site)
>
> Yes. The only change for GMP 5 was to recognize the new version number
> when running the tests.

Good.

> > Is it possible GMP's problems with getting GMP 5 to compile
> > are the same ones I had with 3.1 on Snow Leopard? (They bemoan
> > not having a set of every Mac system.) Think it would behoove
> > me to try it?
>
> According to comments on GMP's mailing list, the latest snapshot
> should work.ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/snapshot/

I'll have to see if I can get it to work this weekend. I sure hope I
don't muck it up after after all the trouble I had getting the
previous
one to work.

Thanks for the links.