Python 3 minor irritation

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Feb 4 01:27:16 EST 2010

En Thu, 04 Feb 2010 02:46:45 -0300, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at start.no>
escribió:

> Oh sorry, now I see what you mean. I read it too literally. You mean
> that at script startup __file__ is a valid relative or absolute path to
> the script.
>
> But anyways, Windows Explorer doesn't change the current directory to
> that of the associated program, at least not in Windows XP.

But the associated program might change the current directory - that's not
the case with the default associations created by the Python installer,
but one should verify this.
To the OP: please create this small test script

import os
print("curdir=", os.getcwd())
print("__file__=", __file__)
input()

and post what you get when you double-click on it.

Also, from the command line, execute:

D:\temp>reg query HKCR\.py

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.py
     <Sin nombre>        REG_SZ  Python.File
     Content Type        REG_SZ  text/plain

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.py\PersistentHandler

D:\temp>reg query HKCR\Python.File\shell\open\command

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File\shell\open\command
     <Sin nombre>        REG_SZ  "D:\Apps\Python26\python.exe" "%1" %*

The first command says that files ending with .py are of type
"Python.File", the second one says which command is executed to open a
"Python.File" file.

--
Gabriel Genellina