Python and Ruby

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 17:56:44 EST 2010

On 2010-02-04 14:55 PM, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> On Feb 3, 3:39 pm, Steve Holden<st... at holdenweb.com>  wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:

>>> With all respect, talking about a subject without a reasonable chance of
>>> your audience understanding the subject afterwards is not explaining.
>>> It's just exposition.
>>
>> I agree. If the audience doesn't understand then you haven't explained it.
>
> On the contrary, that explanation would have everything you need. It
> would take an hour to read or listen to the explanation, but much more
> than that time to truly understand everything that was said.

Like I said, that's exposition, not explanation. There is an important
distinction between the two words. Simply providing information is not
explanation. If it takes four hours for your audience to understand it, then you
explained it in four hours no matter when you stopped talking.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco