Your beloved python features

Roald de Vries rdv at roalddevries.nl
Fri Feb 5 08:49:53 EST 2010

On Feb 5, 2010, at 12:03 AM, Julian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've asked this question at stackoverflow a few weeks ago, and to make
> it clear: this should NOT be a copy of the stackoverflow-thread
> "hidden features of Python".
>
> I want to design a poster for an open source conference, the local
> usergroup will have a table there, and in the past years there were
> some people that came to the python-table just to ask "why should I
> use python?".
>
> For those guys would be a poster quite cool which describes the most
> popular and beloved python features.
>
> So, may you help me please? If there's a similar thread/blogpost/
> whatever, please give it to me, google couldn't.

My reasoning: I needed a language more powerful than bash, but more
portable and faster to develop (at least small scripts) than C/C++. So
I needed a scripting language. Python, Ruby, Perl, Tcl, ...?

Python seems to be the language with the most libraries available,
programs written in it, OS-support (even runs on my smartphone), has a
good data-model, has a good interactive shell (iPython).