Your beloved python features

Bruce C. Baker bcb at undisclosedlocation.net
Fri Feb 5 16:22:25 EST 2010

"George Sakkis" <george.sakkis at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:de06116c-e77c-47c4-982d-62b48bca5064 at j31g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

I'll give the benefit of doubt and assume you're joking rather than
trolling.

George

Not trolling, my friend!

GvR got it right when he discarded the superfluous semicolons from the ends
of statements--and then he ADDS superfluous colons to the ends of control
statements? It will probably be as much of a shock to you as it was to me
when I learned after studying parsing that colons, semicolons, "then"'s and
"do"'s, etc.,  are simply noise tokens that serve no purpose except to
clutter up the source.

As for enforced indentation, back in the late 60's when I was a programming
newbie I remember thinking how cool it would be to just indent the
statements controlled by for loops (we didn't have none of them fancy while
loops in FORTRAN back then! :-) )  Not too long after that I saw the havoc
that a buggy editor could wreak on nicely-formatted source. :-( Formatting
held hostage to a significant, invisible whitespace char? An inevitable
accident waiting to happen! Not good, Guido; not good at all.

That'll do for starters. :-)