xmlrpc slow in windows 7 if hostnames are used

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 5 17:54:52 EST 2010

News123 wrote:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>> En Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:34:20 -0300, News123 <news123 at free.fr> escribió:
>>
>>> I wrote a small xmlrpc client on Windows 7 with python 2.6
>>>
>>> srv = xmlrpclib.Server('http://localhost:80')
>>>
>>> I was able to perform about 1 rpc call per second
>>>
>>> After changing to
>>> srv = xmlrpclib.Server('http://127.0.0.1:80')
>>>
>>> I was able to perform about 10 to 16 rpc calls per second.
>> Not necesarily. There is another difference: 127.0.0.1 is an IPv4
>> address, localhost maps to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (::1)
>>
>> I vaguely remember a problem with that - IPv6 is tried first, doesn't
>> work, only then IPv4, and that slows down the whole process.
>> Try disabling completely the IPv6 stack, if you don't need it.
>

> How can I completely disable IP6.
>
> I went to my network device and disabled IPV6 under properties. The
> XMRPC calls were stull slow.

There's not a lot of point taking actions like disabling IPv6 until you
actually know what the cause of the problem is (though I suppose a few
likely-sounding actions are worth taking if they don't require much
effort). Sounds to me like you need to get WireShark or some similar
protocol analyzer on the network and determine what traffic is passing
across the network.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/