xmlrpc slow in windows 7 if hostnames are used

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Feb 7 02:14:11 EST 2010

En Sat, 06 Feb 2010 22:15:48 -0300, Jean-Michel Pichavant
<jeanmichel at sequans.com> escribió:

> I'm puzzled.
> Unless my english is failing me, everything would be solved using
> hostnames if I follow you. Why don't you do that ?
> I am no network/IP guru, but it sounds very weird to have requests
> rejected when using IP addresses. Are you sure your host names are
> resolved with the same IPM address you are using ?

HTTP 1.1 requires a Host: header field; this way, multiple web servers may
share the same IP address. So you can't identify a host by its IP alone;
the host name is required. This was devised in order to save IPv4
addresses; LACNIC (the Latin America addresses register) does not assign
addresses to ISP's based solely on web hosting anymore - they MUST share
existing IPs. And I think a similar policy is used on other regions.

--
Gabriel Genellina