Modifying Class Object

Tue Feb 9 03:21:48 EST 2010

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:19:56 +0100, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> You don't have anything /but/ pointers in Python.

x = 5
y = "hello"

You want us to accept that the values of x and y are some mysterious
pointer entities rather than the integer object 5 and the string object
"hello".

At the point that your explanation depends on the reader understanding
that the value of a variable x is not actually the thing that they assign
to x, but some mysterious, invisible entity that exists entirely inside
the implementation where the user can never reach, you probably should
rethink your attachment to that explanation. No wonder so many Java
programmers are still confused by it.

It might help your case if we had a word for the thing that is actually
assigned to the variable. In plain English that is "value", but you want
to use that for the pointer to the thing-that-we-otherwise-would-call-
value, which leaves us no simple way to talk about the int 5 and string
"hello".

--
Steven