Programing family

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Tue Feb 9 11:49:21 EST 2010

On Feb 8, 2010, at 8:39 PM, AON LAZIO <aonlazio at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have thought funny things
>> If we think all languages are like a family

Then it would be a very incestuous family fore sure.

>> I could draft them like this (Python base)
>>
>> C is Python's Mom
>> C++ : Dad

Not that much C++ in Python, IMHO. If that's for the OO part, then the
closer to Python's object model I can think of is javascript.

Historically, Python comes from ABC, which itself comes from SETL.

>> Pascal/Assembly : Grandparents

Assembly ? What about binary machine code then ?-)

>> C#   : Uncle
>> Java : Ant

Interesting typo here !-)

Hmmm... Python predates both C# and Java. Ok, technically speaking
nothing prevents an uncle or aunt from being younger than their nephews,
and I even saw the case a couple time - but that's far from being the
common case.

>> Ruby: Cousin
>> Perl : Girlfriend

Then it's kind of a very passionate love-hate relationship - bordering
on pathological FWIW !-)

Now you forgot the whole Lisp / ML heritage - most FP stuff -, and of
course Simula and Smalltalk.