Python and Ruby

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 10 09:51:11 EST 2010

waku wrote:
> On Feb 9, 10:41 pm, Jonathan Gardner <jgard... at jonathangardner.net>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 9, 1:51 am, waku <w... at idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>>
>>> 'stupid', 'wrong', 'deficient', 'terrible', ...  you're using strong
>>> words instead of concrete arguments, it might intimidate your
>>> opponents, but is hardly helpful in a fair discussion.
>> In today's day and age, I don't know how a text editor which cannot do
>> simple indentation can be considered anything but "stupid", "wrong",
>> "deficient", and "terrible". There is simply no excuse for this kind
>> of behavior on the part of the text editor.
>
> i thought we were not discussing text editors, why should you insist
> so much on diverting attention from the issue of a programmer being
> *forced* to keep perfect indentation to the issue of an editor doing
> autoindent or the like.

It's as sensible to complain about people being "*forced* to keep
perfect indentation" as it is to complain about people being *forced* to
use braces to delimit code blocks.

This is called "syntax", and it's a part of the language, so get over it
- this aspect of Python has been present in the language since its
inception, and it isn't going to change.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/