Rhodri James rhodri at
Fri Feb 12 00:32:08 CET 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:31:52 -0000, DANNY <danijel.gvero at> wrote:

> Hello!
> I am currently developing a simple video player in python, and my
> problem is that i can't find a module which has a function that can
> determine if frame(image) is I or P coded (MPEG coding). I have been
> using PIL but I couldnt find anything that could help me with that
> problem.

How are you reading the video?  PIL doesn't claim to do more than identify
MPEG files.  Also, which MPEG encoding, in which container format?

If you aren't just putting a wrapper around something like ffmpeg, I
rather suspect you'll have to decode the bitstream yourself.  That could
be rather painful if you're talking about MPEG-4/10.