Please help with MemoryError

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Feb 12 07:15:41 EST 2010

Aahz wrote:
> Tim Chase  <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>> Just to add to the mix, I'd put the "anydbm" module on the gradient
>> between "using a file" and "using sqlite".  It's a nice intermediate
>> step between rolling your own file formats for data on disk, and having
>> to write SQL since access is entirely like you'd do with a regular
>> Python dictionary.
>
> Not quite.  One critical difference between dbm and dicts is the need to
> remember to "save" changes by setting the key's valud again.

Could you give an example of this?  I'm not sure I understand
what you're saying.  I've used anydbm a bunch of times and other
than wrapping access in

   d = anydbm.open(DB_NAME, "c")
   # use d as a dict here
   d.close()

and I've never hit any "need to remember to save changes by
setting the key's value again".  The only gotcha I've hit is the
anydbm requirement that all keys/values be strings.  Slightly
annoying at times, but my most frequent use case.

-tkc