python crash on windows but not on linux

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Feb 13 06:24:17 EST 2010

Am 13.02.10 11:50, schrieb hjebbers:
> On Feb 13, 10:25 am, Dennis Lee Bieber<wlfr... at ix.netcom.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:21:07 -0800 (PST), hjebbers<hjebb... at gmail.com>
>> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>>
>>> What strikes me is:
>>> 1. the crash on windows, but linux works OK (same test sets)
>>> 2. the linux box has 750Mb RAM, the windows box has 1.5Gb (twice as
>>> much).
>>
>>          Which on its own does not mean much.
>>
>>          Windows in a normal installation only grants 2GB address space to
>> user code, reserving the other 2GB space for the OS shared libraries. If
>> your program attempts to allocate over that, it will fail. That the
>> Windows box has twice the physical memory only means it doesn't resort
>> to page swapping as soon.
>>
>>          There is a boot parameter switch that toggles Windows into a 3GB
>> user/1GB OS mode --
>
> hey, that would be great!! on my 1,5G mahcine ;-)

You don't get it - it's about the virtual memory address space
available. This has nothing to do with physical memory. Obviously if the
latter runs out, the swapping will make the machine painfully slow. But
that's another issue.

Diez