python crash on windows but not on linux

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 14 15:46:13 EST 2010

Op 2010-02-13 13:14, Alf P. Steinbach schreef:
> * hjebbers:
>> I enlarged the windows page file from 750Kb to 1.5Gb .
>> The crash still happens.
>> btw, the crash does not happen at a peak memory usage.
>> According to windows task manager, at the moment of crash mem usage of
>> my program is 669kb, peak memory usage is 1.136kb
>>
>> henk-jan
>
> Probably you meant to write "M", not "k" or "K"?
>
> I've never managed to make much sense of the displays in Windows' Task Manager,
> if that's what you're using, but I think the mem usage it's displaying by
> default is the process' working set, or something very similar to that measure.
>
> You can display additional columns in Task Manager, and one useful one is how
> much virtual memory is allocated,.
>
> And perhaps then (if that's not what you're looking it already) it'll be closer
> to 2 GiB?

Note that the memory measurements in Task Manager are pretty limited
and. Comparing Task Manager and Process Explorer:

Task Manager - Process Explorer
Mem Usage - Working Set
VM Size - Private Bytes
n/a - Virtual Size

I tend to trust Process Explorer a lot more than Task Manager. Note that
what Task Manager calls VM Size is not the size of the virtual memory as
might be expected (if Process Explorer is to be trusted), and that Task
Manager doesn't show the virtual memory size (at least on Windows XP).

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven