Function attributes [OT]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Feb 14 16:23:30 EST 2010

On 2/13/2010 8:14 AM, Steve Holden wrote:

> Gmane is primarily a news (NNTP-based) service, though for reasons best
> know to the organizers they choose to rename the standard newsgroups to
> fit their own idea of how the universe should be organized, so there the
> group becomes gmane.comp.python.general.

As I understand the site, the last I read a year or two ago, gmane is a
technical mailinglist-to-news gateway. It does not mirror newsgroups,
standard or not. It only mirrors lists such as python-list, not
newsgroups, such comp.lang.python. In doing so, it organizes the lists
into categories like g.comp.python, which has about 200 subgroups
mirroring 200 python lists.