MemoryError, can I use more?

Tommy Grav tgrav at mac.com
Sun Feb 14 22:39:13 EST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 10:16 PM, Dave Angel wrote:

> There are three different limits at play here.  Since you're still not saying how you're "measuring" usage, we've all been guessing just which one you're hitting.  There's physical RAM, virtual address space, and swappable space (swapfile on disk).  Each reaches some limit in different ways.
>
> And there are probably a dozen different ways to measure "memory use,"  that get a dozen different answers.  If you say which one you're using, that gives "exactly 2.2 GB,"  maybe someone will be familiar with that particular approach, and its meaning.

I ran into the same problem on Mac OS X and investigated it. My problem was that the program reached a memory error
after using 2.2GB of memory. Now what caused it specifically I am less sure of, but switching to a 64bit python on
a 64bit OS (snow leopard) means that I now frequently move past this boundary (when I have enough memory of course :)

Tommy