new python install

Tim Chase python.list at
Mon Feb 15 03:28:16 CET 2010

monkeys paw wrote:
> Upon invoking python, it hangs
> until Ctrl^C is typed, and then the
>  >>> interactive shell begins.
> Like so:
> joemoney% python
> Python 2.4.6 (#1, Dec 13 2009, 23:45:11) [C] on sunos5
> # Hangs ^^^ at this point until ^C is typed
> ^C
>  >>>
> I've seen this in other new installs and wondered if there is
> a common problem that would cause this? It's on a sun os box

Though I've never seen such live, perhaps you have some sort of
site-wide or user-specific config file such as ~/ or
a site-wide file.  You can read up a bit at

I believe the way to test this is to start Python with either the
-s or -S option (or both) to disable looking for user or site
modules.  Also check if you have some crazy value set for

My guess is that something in one of these places is triggering
the hang until you kill that with a ^C after which you get the
requested prompt.

Hope this helps,