Plugin architecture

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:53:23 EST 2010

> I'm thinking about writing plugin-style architecture for (a new)
> web-based app (with SQLAlchemy as backend).
>
> Say, there's core web app and someone decides to write plugin Accounting
> for this web app that would work with SQA objects of the core app or
> other plugins.
>
> I found this:
>
> http://effbot.org/zone/metaclass-plugins.htm
>
> (Although I'm not entirely sure this is the best approach for the web app)
>
> How would you approach designing such architecture using features
> available in Python (and some major web framework, like Pylons or Django)?

Major web frameworks like django, turbogears (thicker ones), pylons,
cherrypy (thinner ones) include all the functionality for doing this
sort of thing out of the box. If I were you I would go ahead and use
one of these frameworks and only start thinking about designing
something new if I hit a wall. Chances are you won't.

Cheers,
Daniel