Shipping Executables

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Tue Feb 16 19:22:40 EST 2010

On Feb 16, 2010, at 4:41 PM, rodmc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been merrily programming away in Python now for a few years and
> have a couple of applications I would like to possibly publish at some
> point - with the exception of certain libraries they are more or less
> 100% Python. However I have read elsewhere online that Python due to
> it's architecture is not so good for this, especially as it is easier
> for people to hack into the code. Also where software requires some
> security aspects I guess it would also not be much use, is this
> correct?

Hi Rod,
The user's ability to hack into the code is usually considered one of
the strengths of Python & open source software in general. Since most
Python software that's distributed  is open source, you're doing
something different than most. It'd help if you explain how you want
your software to differ from a typical open source distribution. Do
you not want people to change the code? Are you worried about your
code & ideas being stolen?

bye
Philip