Is automatic reload of a module available in Python?

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at
Wed Feb 17 15:27:35 CET 2010

Dear Folks,

I am currently developing a python program, let us call it "",
and I am testing out the functions therein by testing them out
interactively in the python interpreter by invoking python and doing

import generic

Once I hit an error, I need to revise my file and reload the module using

The difference in syntax between invoking import and reload is really
costing me time and patience.

Therefore, I would like to ask:

1. Is there a method of auto-reloading a module while developing it and
testing it with the interactive python interpreter?

2. Is there a better way of developing a program?

Thank you.