Can't Access ANY url from python (errno 61)

MattB mattbarkan at
Sat Feb 20 09:36:15 CET 2010

On Feb 20, 2:02 am, Lie Ryan <lie.1... at> wrote:
> On 02/20/10 13:32, MattB wrote:
> > I'm using the network in my own apartment. Not the campus's.
> > Moreover, my mac's MAC address is different from the MAC address shown
> > by my router, but as I said I'm also blocked when using my friend's
> > wireless router at his apartment.
> > So it must be my mac's MAC, and not the router's MAC, that's being
> > blocked, right?
> > But ALSO -- is it my ISP that's blocking the mac's MAC (and not the
> > school), since I can't raise ANY url's from python when I'm on
> > wireless?
> MAC or IP blocking can't be the reason, as the OP stated, he can use
> Firefox just fine.
> Can you access, say, urllib or mechanize?
> If you can't access *any website* using urllib/mechanize but you can
> with a browser and you're on a unix-based machine, you probably have the
> same problem as I used to have. Check whether you used the same hostname
> in /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/hosts (or wherever your distro saves
> its hostname configurations, I use Gentoo); after editing those files
> reboot (there are ways to avoid reboot, but rebooting guarantees the
> conf file is reread).
> Check the hostname by running this python script:
> import socket
> hn = socket.gethostname()
> print hn
> print socket.gethostbyname(hn) # should be

Wow. Strangely, that script returned However, in Snow
Leopard's airport settings, if I click on 'advanced' and then
'proxies', the default proxy for 'http' is (and in
these settings, the 'use proxy for http' is checked).

I just tried checking the unix files you mentioned. In etc/hosts, the
following info is displayed:

# Host Database
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##	localhost	broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0	localhost

Also found a file called ntp-restrict.conf, containing:

# Access restrictions documented in ntp.conf(5) and
# Limit network machines to time queries only

restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery

# localhost is unrestricted
restrict -6 ::1

includefile /private/etc/ntp.conf

Not sure if these are what I'm looking for -- I'm new to unix so I may
need a bit more hand-holding here.

I appreciate your time and effort.