What's Going on between Python and win7?

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Tue Feb 23 05:50:14 CET 2010

* W. eWatson:
> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
> XP,

Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>

I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.

But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort of hack
it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed through the
ordinary file APIs.

> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the  program
> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

Copy and paste.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf