When will Python go mainstream like Java?

Ishwor Gurung ishwor.gurung at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 04:00:47 EST 2010

On 23 February 2010 08:56, AON LAZIO <aonlazio at gmail.com> wrote:
> That will be superb
Yes it would - but I'll just add in few words.

Java - Monstrous language that was Sun's flagship language. Now, it's Oracles.
Python - Hobby-ish hacking language that we all love so much (that we
wish everything was written using Python).

Java - The JVM code been hacked to death by Sun engineers (optimised)
Python - The PVM code has seen speed-ups in Unladen or via Pyrex..
ad-infinitum but nowhere as near to JVM

I like both Python and Java but given the amount of resources put into
JVM and Java (JEE is _huge_ in Enterprise if you didn't know that
already and there are universities that speak Java fluently), it's
kind of sad that Python till the day hasn't seen speedup in mainline
releases.

I see Python more as a hacker's language which will gradually evolve
and support SMEs and alike in the long run than Java (and of course we
write our weekend-only hacking projects in it :-) but for a
market-uptake like Java requires universities, colleges and students
to learn this wonderful little language and requests energetic hackers
to fix lock-contention issues and the like in the core implementation.

Perhaps I see a light, perhaps I see nothing.. but I feel the day is
coming nearer when Python would run as fast as Java/C. Only time can
tell - I hope the time is right about this.
--
Regards
Ishwor Gurung