Can't Access ANY url from python (errno 61)

MattB mattbarkan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:07:48 EST 2010

On Feb 20, 7:00 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:28:16 +0000, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> > On 02/20/10 00:20, MattB wrote:
> > <cut>
>
> >> Also, based on Martin's comment, I just wanted to make you all aware
> >> that I intend no misuse, but rather am just trying to learn, as I'm a
> >> programming noob.
> > <cut>
> > It wasn't my intention to imply that, rather the opposite, that if some
> > BOFH would see your action as misuse (some admins are pretty trigger
> > happy), you would expect them to contact you directly (I would). Even
> > though you are on a wireless there are ways to track you down. For
> > example I would search my log to see if I can make an association
> > between a login to one of my servers and your mac address.
>
> This may be what you would do, but in my experience, it is more likely
> that the admin would be far too busy and/or lazy to try to track you down
> unless (1) they wanted to give you a warning prior to expulsion, or (2)
> they needed to know who you were prior to laying charges.
>
> In my experience they're far more likely to just hit the problem with a
> hammer by blocking you as much as is technically possible.
>
> > BTW, I always followed the philosophy that learning is much more fun if
> > you can brake/blow something up. Thus on my networks all students had a
> > lot of freedom to do whatever they think was appropriate but they where
> > aware that every action on my network was monitored and logged.
>
> Unfortunately this is the exception rather than the rule, I think.
>
> --
> Steven

All -- problem solved.  Following Lie's suggestions, and the links
from those pages, I went hunting around in my /library/preferences/
SystemConfiguration/.  I opened all of the 6 or 7 files that were in
there, and all looked as if they contained info directly related to my
airport card -- networks, server names, etc.  So I copied them to a
backup folder and then deleted them. Then I rebooted.

Then I opened IDLE and was able to raise URLs again.  I'm not sure
what it was about those files (or maybe a specific one) -- does anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks for your help and suggestions while I tried to figure this out.