When will Java go mainstream like Python?

Wanja Gayk brixomatic at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 15:40:10 EST 2010

Am 24.02.2010, 00:22 Uhr, schrieb Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>:

>> Java - The JVM code been hacked to death by Sun engineers (optimised)
>> Python - The PVM code has seen speed-ups in Unladen or via Pyrex..
>> ad-infinitum but nowhere as near to JVM
>
> Python is still faster, though.

In synthetic microbenchmarks without any practical importance - possibly.

> I think a key reason is that its VM supports
> reference-counting, which the Java folks never quite got the grasp of.

Reference counting is about the worst technique for garbage collection.
Modern Java VM won't count references. They will just trace the active
references from the rootand mark all objects it finds as active and save
these. The remaining ones are garbage. The reason why this is faster is
that there are usually less live objects than dead ones and there are less
refereces to look at.

kind regards

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news at netfront.net ---