Docstrings considered too complicated

Wed Feb 24 19:22:45 EST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:23:03 +0100, Andreas Waldenburger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> a company that works with my company writes a lot of of their code in
> Python (lucky jerks). I've seen their code and it basically looks like
> this:
>
> """Function that does stuff"""
> def doStuff():
>     while not wise(up):
>         yield scorn
>
> Now my question is this: How do I kill these people without the
> authorities thinking they didn't deserve it?

Well, the above isn't *wrong* as such, it is equivalent to:

# Function that does stuff
def doStuff():
    while not wise(up):
        yield scorn

which means the biggest problem is that they had the perfect opportunity
to create a useful docstring and instead f***ed it up by turning it into
a useless comment.

The best way to teach them better is to introduce them to the joys of
help(doStuff) and doctests.

--
Steven