Spam from gmail

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Feb 24 19:56:04 EST 2010

In article <874ol65ep8.fsf at benfinney.id.au>,
Ben Finney  <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>> In article <87sk8r5v2f.fsf at benfinney.id.au>,
>> Ben Finney  <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>>>
>>>Spam is spam, not by who authors or posts it, but by its distribution
>>>(to many people, e.g. via a forum like this one) and its content
>>>(off-topic and unsolicited).
>>
>> Moreover, by your definition, your post above counts as spam.
>
>No. Again, as several others have pointed out, discussions about how the
>forum should operate (meta-discussions, if you like) are on-topic in the
>forum.

We already agreed that the original post was not appropriate for c.l.py;
further discussion about the precise term for describing that post is
off-topic.  Therefore, by your definition, your post is spam.  My point
is that c.l.py is somewhat tolerant of off-topic posts, and generally
people who contribute to the newsgroup are more likely to get a pass on
off-topic posts.