Starting Python from the terminal with no welcome message

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sun Feb 28 20:21:29 EST 2010

candide wrote:
> Does exist some option I could send to the python interpreter during an
> interactive session in order to avoid the printing of the  introductory
> message just above the top prompt ?
>
> In my case, the welcome message is the following :
>
> Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 31 2008, 17:28:52)
> [GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)] on linux2

I asked a similar question a while back:

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/python-list@python.org/4611139.html

(strangely, I couldn't find that in the mail.python.org archives
via google)

If you don't want to monkey with the prompts (like I did in that
thread), you can just use

   bash$ python -ic ""

to get a python shell without the banner.

That said, it _would_ be a nice addition to have a "-q"uiet
startup option that behaves like many other apps do.  But with it
being just a few extra characters on the command-line, I don't
expect it will happen.

-tkc