Python packet capture utility

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Feb 2 10:09:26 EST 2010

On 2010-02-02, VYAS ASHISH M-NTB837 <ashish.vyas at motorola.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I want to capture tcp packets in python. I need to do this on both
> Windows and Linux on python3.1
>
> I came across the following:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycap/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pylibpcap/
> http://code.google.com/p/pypcap/
> http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/pcapy.html
>

> I am not able to evaluate on my own.

And we're supposed to evaluate them for you?

      pycap:  last release 5/2003.

  pylibpcap:  last release 5/2008

      pycap:  last release 1/2007

      pcapy:  last release 3/2007

> Which one should I pick up?

I'd start with the newest one.  It's the one I use, and it
works fine for me.

> Priority is python3.1 support on both windows and Linux.

I don't think any of them support 3.1.

> I don't have to do many/complex operations. If it is not so
> programmer friendly I am OK.
>
> Also let me know if 2to3 would help here if there is not
> python3 support.

I'f you're not expereienced porting libraries from 2.4 to 3.1,
then you shouldn't be using 3.1.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Did you move a lot of
                                  at               KOREAN STEAK KNIVES this