Docstrings considered too complicated

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Feb 26 11:47:28 EST 2010

In article <eq4l57-okf2.ln1 at ozzie.tundraware.com>,
 Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

> On 2/24/2010 2:23 PM, Andreas Waldenburger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > a company that works with my company writes a lot of of their code in
> > Python (lucky jerks). I've seen their code and it basically looks like
> > this:
> >
> > """Function that does stuff"""
> > def doStuff():
> >     while not wise(up):
> >         yield scorn
> >
> > Now my question is this: How do I kill these people without the
> > authorities thinking they didn't deserve it?
> >
> > /W
> >

> Reminiscent of:
>
> mov  AX,BX               ; Move the contents of BX into AX
>
> And, yes, I've actually seen that as well as:
>
> ; This is a comment

OK, if we're going to do this, how about this one, that I just found
yesterday in some production C++ code.  I'm so glad somebody took the time
to explain to me what p7 through p9 are.  I never would have figured it out
otherwise.

/**
 * Tracing facility. Writes the message to the specified output stream.
 * If output stream is NULL, writes the message to the process log.
 *
 * @param  msg_id  The message id to use for lookup.
 * @param  ostr    The output stream.
 * @param  p1      The first substition parameter.