IOError - cannot create file (linux daemon-invoked script)

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Jan 3 18:00:28 EST 2010

On 03Jan2010 14:20, cassiope <fpm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
| On Jan 2, 8:02 pm, Cameron Simpson <c... at zip.com.au> wrote:
| > Can you show us:
| >   - the directory user and group ownership and permissions
| >   - the daemon's user and group values?
|
| Directory permissions: 774

That's unusual - why the "4"? Directories with read but no search (1)
are of limited use. (Not none - it's only unusual, not insane).

| Directory ownership: "lesser user", "special group" where /etc/group
| has "special group" members including the "lesser user", as well as
| those who are expected to use the daemon, but not root.
| Script ownership: "lesser user"; permissions 755
| Daemon ownership: root; permissions: 755 (always started by root).

And the script/daemon _runs_ as the "lesser user"?

If so, superficially the permissions look like they should work.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I couldn't think of anything else to do with it, so I put it on the web.