Significant whitespace

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 4 06:54:37 EST 2010

r0g wrote:
> David Robinow wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

>>> It's a fairly well known story.
>>>
>>> http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/5.64.html#subj4.2
>>  Sure. But the question is, "Who made it up?"
>> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fortran
>>
>> Computer folklore has incorrectly attributed the loss of the Mariner 1
>> space probe to a syntax error in a Fortran program. For example,
>> "Recall the first American space probe to Venus, reportedly lost
>> because Fortran cannot recognize a missing comma in a DO statement…"[
>

> Wow you're totally right! It was a missing UNDERSCORE not a DOT being
> typed instead of a COMMA! We've been lied to ALL ALONG! What kind of
> sickos would do this? Let's find this Tim character, flay him alive and
> then go crown you the KING OF EVERYTHING for rescuing us from that
> deadly nugget of misinformation!
>
> Honestly I might have believed those dot/comma LIES if it wasn't for
> your noble selfless efforts to uncover the SHOCKING TRUTH. Imagine what
> might have happened! The character in question being an UNDERSCORE
> COMPLETELY CHANGES the meaning and point of the story. As for it being
> LEFT OUT rather than TRANSPOSED, well, anyone can see how that TURNS THE
> WHOLE STORY UPSIDE DOWN.
>
> Of course there are the naysayers who might claim absolute accuracy is
> no big deal in stories that are essentially parables but they do not
> understand the HARM that can come from not remembering really tiny,
> almost inconsequential details. For what it's worth I DO NOT consider
> you a tiresome pedant and I think your taunting, patronising style is
> completely appropriate and proportional to Tim's sickening crimes
> against fact.
>
> Roger.

Personally I think the overall tone of this group would have been
marginally improved if you had summoned the self-restraint to simply not
make this posting.

Fortunately it's still an unmoderated group, so you can continue to be
as hostile and snarky as you like.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/