fsync() doesn't work as advertised?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Jan 4 11:29:45 EST 2010

Le Mon, 04 Jan 2010 08:09:56 -0800, Brian D a écrit :

> What I've seen is that flush() alone produces a complete log when the
> loop finishes. When I used fsync(), I lost all of the write entries
> except the first, along with odd error trap and the last entry.

Perhaps you are writing to the file from several threads or processes at
once?

By the way, you shouldn't need fsync() if you merely want to look at the
log files, because your OS will have an up-to-date view of the file
contents anyway. fsync() is useful if you want to be sure the data has
been written to the hard disk drive, rather than just kept in the
operating system's filesystem cache.