How do you configure IDLE on a Mac, seeing as there's no Configure Option...

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at
Mon Jan 4 17:05:00 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Mensanator <mensanator at> wrote:
> ...because there's no [Options] menu on the shell window?
> Or at least give me a clue to how to use Courier New font?
> For some inscrutable reason, depite the plethora of formatting tools,
> someone decided that proportional spaced fonts ought to be the
> default for IDLE.
> --

Mac Applications don't have "options" menus. They have a "preferences"
pane which is the second item in the application menu (the one that
takes the name of the active program) and has a keyboard shortcut of

Apple's user-interface guidelines are pretty specific, so you'll find
that this works for all native OS X (i.e. not X11) applications.