Best practices for simultaneously installed versioned packages?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Jan 4 22:39:10 EST 2010

> In article
> <ec96e1391001040816r77970e4ekca36f43b19e40a19 at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kaplan at case.edu> wrote:
>
>> wxpython installs a "wxversion" module which has functions like
>> getInstalled(), ensureMinimal(version), and select(version). You can
>> call wxversion.select before importing wx and it will make sure that
>> the correct version is imported. You might want to look up what they
>> did.

I can imagine what they did: wxversion.select() explicitly imports the
desired wxwindows module using __import__(), then assigns it to
sys.modules["wxwindows"].  A good idea!

Ned Deily wrote:
> Also, setuptools (and, its successor, distribute, which supports Python
> 3) allow the installation and management of multiple versions of a
> package within one python site-library instance.

That sounds lovely too, but I can't figure out what facility setuptools
/ distribute permits that.  Could you be more specific?  A link to the
documentation for this feature would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

/larry/