python xmlrpc client with ssl client certificates and standard modules

News123 news123 at free.fr
Tue Jan 5 04:03:56 EST 2010

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
It helped me to find the correct solution.

Unfortunaltely xmlrpclib.ServerProxy does not allow a host tuple, but
just a uri.

So the simplest solution, that I found is to create a custom transport

import xmlrpclib

class SafeTransportWithCert(xmlrpclib.SafeTransport):
    __cert_file = DFLT_CERTFILE
    __key_file  = DFLT_KEYFILE
    def make_connection(self,host):
        host_with_cert = (host, {
                      'key_file'  :  self.__key_file,
                      'cert_file' :  self.__cert_file
            } )
        return  \
          xmlrpclib.SafeTransport.make_connection(
                               self,host_with_cert)

transport = SafeTransportWithCert()
server = xmlrpclib.ServerProxy(server_url,
    transport = transport)

rslt = server.mymethod(args)

Perfect.
Now the server can ensure, that only certified clients connect.

My next task is how to find out at the client side, that the server
certificate is a properly signed one.

bye