Printing plain text with exact positioning on Windows

KvS keesvanschaik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:40:25 EST 2010

On Jan 5, 7:16 pm, Nobody <nob... at nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 04:40:14 -0800, KvS wrote:
> >> Did you mean borderless printing?
> >> Every printer needs his margins, some more some less. Some printers have the
> >> ability to do borderless printing but usualy they can do it only on special
> >> or photo paper. So you can adjust the pdf as you wish, even with no margins,
> >> and then try to find under printer options "borderless printing". That is
> >> why I didn't understand :-)) it is a printer thing not pdf!
>
> > As much as possible "borderless", yes. Of course the printer will
> > still apply some small margin, but that's ok. A margin of say <0.5 cm.
> > is fine. So it's not a printer thing, I accept the (physical)
> > limitations of the printer, but I want to avoid any extra margins due
> > to software settings.
>
> "Hardcopy" document formats such as PostScript and PDF use positions
> relative to the edges of the page, not the margins.

Right. Still, Acrobat Reader by default scales the contents to fit on
a page and creates some margins by doing so, no? So if my text is
close to the left and right edges, as I want, it will get scaled and
extra margins will occur. Avoiding this still requires me to be able
to turn off this scaling in the printing preferences somehow
programmatically, so it doesn't seem to make the problem easier?