Printing plain text with exact positioning on Windows

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Wed Jan 6 12:56:24 EST 2010

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:40:25 -0800, KvS wrote:

>> "Hardcopy" document formats such as PostScript and PDF use positions
>> relative to the edges of the page, not the margins.
>
> Right. Still, Acrobat Reader by default scales the contents to fit on
> a page and creates some margins by doing so, no? So if my text is
> close to the left and right edges, as I want, it will get scaled and
> extra margins will occur. Avoiding this still requires me to be able
> to turn off this scaling in the printing preferences somehow
> programmatically, so it doesn't seem to make the problem easier?

If the document is the same size as the physical page, it will be
transferred directly without any scaling or offset. The document will not
be scaled to fit the printable area; if the document contains any marks
which lie within the printer's margins, those marks won't appear on the
printed page.

PostScript and PDF documents don't have "margins". There might be an area
around the edge of the page which doesn't contain any marks, but that's
irrelevant; the area is still part of the page.